CARE Privacy Statement
Credit Card Security
CARE is grateful for the donations that help us continue our valuable work. It is very important to us that your personal information remain secure. When you donate to CARE online, your credit card information is secured by a reputable security company (PayPal, formerly known as Verisign). Also, your credit card number is used only for that particular transaction and is not stored. You will see the "closed" lock symbol in the lower part of your browser screen (often times it is yellow as well) when you are on our secure donation pages. You will also notice in your web site address bar that the domain name starts with an "https" on those donation pages. This means that information entered on those pages is encrypted for your security. This actually makes it more secure than using a credit card in physical form at a store for example. If you have any questions regarding the security of your credit card donation online, please e-mail us, or call 1-800-422-7385 for more information.
In addition, we occasionally use a third-party service provider to serve ads on our behalf across the Internet and sometimes on this site. They may collect anonymous information about your visits to our Web site, and your interaction with our site and services. They may also use information about your transactions and visits to this and other Web sites to target advertisements for goods and services. This anonymous information is collected through the use of a pixel tag and cookies, which are industry standard technologies used by most major web sites. No personally identifiable information is collected or used in this process. They do not know the name, phone number, address, email address, or any personally identifying information about the user. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this anonymous information used by our third party service provider, please click here.
We ask for your e-mail address on a number of pages within our site, but you may opt out of e-mail communications at any time by un-checking the box beneath where you entered in your e-mail address, by clicking the unsubscribe link that is included at the bottom of every e-mail communication from CARE, by selecting "No" when presented with whether or not you would like to receive email from CARE, or by logging in and editing to your Personal Profile at any time and unchecking the box that indicates you would like to receive email located there. You may also call us at any time at 1-800-422-7385, or e-mail us, to be removed from our email distribution list.
Other Personal Information
You are not required to provide any personal information on our Web site unless you choose to do so. We do ask for personal information on our online donation pages to properly enable donation transaction processing. We use this information to acknowledge receipt of your donation for tax purposes and to help prevent fraudulent donations. If you give a gift to CARE your name and address will be placed on our physical mailing list for occasional (quarterly) mail updates. If you do not wish to receive physical mail from CARE you may call us at any time at 1-800-422-7385, or e-mail us, to be removed. If you are making a donation in honor of or in memory of someone, we will not use their personal information for any purpose other than sending the acknowledgement card.
We make postal addresses and telephone numbers available to other reputable nonprofit and commercial organizations. If you do not want us to share this information you may call us at any time at 1-800-422-7385, or e-mail us, to have your name removed. CARE does not share your e-mail address with any third parties unless explicitly mentioned at the time of e-mail opt-in.
CARE's site gives you the opportunity to opt out of receiving additional information from us. If you do not want to receive additional information, please uncheck the boxes, or select "No," at the point at which we request that information.
This site has links to other Web sites whose privacy policies may differ from ours. CARE is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these other Web sites.
Your privacy is very important to us. We rely on the good will and generosity of our supporters and want to make sure that your experience with CARE is as positive as possible. We do want to keep you abreast of the ongoing fight against poverty, but not at the expense of any personal information concerns. If you have concerns about your privacy with CARE, please contact us or call 1-800-422-7385.
As a CARE Online Community member, you can manage your personal communication preferences from CARE at any time by logging into your Personal Profile page here. If you are not a CARE Online Community member, click here to join now!
Federal and State Compliance
CARE Terms & Conditions
April 22, 2008
YOUR USE OF CARE WEB SITES (including care.org and we.care.org), CONTENT, ELECTRONIC COMMUNITIES, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES AND DOWNLOADING FROM OUR SITES CONSTITUTES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SET FORTH HEREIN. In addition to providing descriptions of our programs and how we help communities in need around the world, our sites, materials, electronic communities, products and/or services (collectively, "Materials") provide you with the opportunity to shop online and to interact with us and our online community. These terms and conditions have been developed for your protection, as well as ours.
- Rights & Permissions
- You may use the Materials only for educational or non-commercial purposes relating to providing humanitarian relief and development programs, subject to these Terms and except that:
- Logo. To use a CARE mark or logo for fundraising (see below for sales benefiting CARE), e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with a detailed description of your planned use; if an individual, your name and address; if an entity, its place of incorporation and type of entity. This use requires express written permission from CARE.
- Sale of Goods or Services benefiting CARE. This use requires express written permission from CARE. To sell products or services to benefit CARE, e-mail email@example.com with a detailed description of your planned use; if an individual, your name and address; if an entity, its place of incorporation and type of entity. Note, the Better Business Bureau and some consumer laws require you to indicate at point of solicitation the precise benefit to charity. If the benefit is a portion of sale proceeds, the amount must be indicated by dollar or percentage of retail sale price, not with language such as "proceeds," "income," "net" or "profits" because this does not detail the precise portion of the sale benefiting charity.
- Images (including photos and films). Ask firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to use an image from the Materials, describing the image you want to use, the page address where it appears, what you want to use it for and, if an individual, your name and address; if an entity, its place of incorporation and type of entity. This use requires express written permission from CARE.
- Legends Intact. Keep all copyright or other proprietary notices intact. The Materials should indicate © Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere, Inc. (CARE), and may require additional legends to attribute the work to an author, photographer or others. All Materials are owned by CARE or licensed for CARE use.
- Copy to CARE. If the Materials are used in a publication or other formal presentation, you must provide CARE a copy by e-mailing email@example.com.
- Reputation. Materials shall not be used to disparage CARE or its activities.
- You may use the Materials only for educational or non-commercial purposes relating to providing humanitarian relief and development programs, subject to these Terms and except that:
- Use of the CARE electronic community is void where prohibited. In consideration of your use of the Materials, you agree to (a) provide accurate, current and complete information about you in any registration forms on the Sites ("Registration Data"); (b) maintain the security of your password and identification; (c) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data, and any other information you provide to CARE, to keep it accurate, current and complete; and (d) be fully responsible for all use of your account and for any actions that take place using your account.
- Your remarks, graphics, or other information communicated to CARE through the Materials (each a "Submission") shall be freely used by CARE as described below. You represent and warrant and agree that you shall not provide CARE a Submission in which other persons have rights without their express permission, or that infringe their rights, or that contains libelous, defamatory or otherwise unlawful material and you are responsible if your Submission injures another person. In addition, you agree not to:
- use the Materials for data mining, robots or similar data gathering or extraction methods;
- harvest or collect e-mail addresses or other contact information of other Users from the Materials by electronic or other means for the purposes of sending unsolicited e-mails or other unsolicited communications;
- use the Materials in any unlawful manner or in any other manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair them;
- use automated scripts to collect information from or otherwise interact with the Materials;
- upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available any content that we deem to be harmful, threatening, unlawful, defamatory, infringing, abusive, inflammatory, harassing, vulgar, obscene, fraudulent, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- register for more than one User account, register for a User account on behalf of an individual other than yourself, or register for a User account on behalf of any group or entity;
- impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent yourself, or your affiliation with any person or entity;
- upload, post, transmit, share or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, solicitations, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation;
- upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make publicly available in the Materials (including on the Sites) any private information of any third party, including, addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, Social Security numbers and credit card numbers;
- solicit personal information from others or solicit passwords or personally identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes;
- upload, post, transmit, share or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- intimidate or harass another;
- upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available content that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate applicable law;
- use or attempt to use another's account, service or system without authorization from CARE, or create a false identity in the Materials (including on the Sites).
- upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available content that, in the sole judgment of CARE, is objectionable or which restricts or inhibits any other person from using or enjoying the Materials, or which may expose CARE or its Users to any harm or liability of any type.
- Submissions are not confidential and shall not be treated as confidential by CARE. CARE may use Submissions for any commercial or other purpose, without compensation or other liability to you. When you post a Submission, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the Submission. By posting Submissions, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to CARE an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such Submissions for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Materials (including on the Sites) or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such Submissions, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. You understand that your Submissions may be used and republished by other Users over whom CARE has no control, and you specifically consent to this use by others.
- The Materials contain Submissions, text, photos, graphics, sounds and other work belonging to CARE or to other contributors. CARE owns the Material, unless otherwise indicated. You acquire no ownership rights by downloading copyrighted material. Unless explicitly stated herein, nothing in these Terms shall be construed as conferring any license to intellectual property rights, whether by estopple, implication or otherwise.
- You are solely responsible for your interactions with other Users. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other Users.
- Liabilities and Injuries
- You shall not post or transmit through CARE Materials any information or documents that violates these Terms. You shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless CARE, CARE International, their directors, officers, employees, and agents, and their third party content providers ("CARE Entities") from any claims, losses or expenses arising from or in connection with any Submissions, any Third Party applications, Software or Content you post or share on or through the Materials (including through the Sites or Share Service), your use of the Materials, your conduct in connection with the Materials or with other Users of the Materials, or any violation of this Agreement or of any law or the rights of any third party.
- THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE PURSUANT TO APPLICABLE LAW. CARE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARE DOES NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE MATERIALS INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THEIR COMPLETENESS, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, INTERRUPTION, DEFECT, WHETHER THE MATERIALS OR THE SERVER ARE FREE OF VIRUSES, COMMUNICATION LINE FAILURE, THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OR UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO, ALTERATION OF, OR USE OF RECORDS OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. INFORMATION IN THE MATERIALS, OR THE SITES OF ANY CARE ENTITIES, IS PROVIDED WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT CARE ENTITIES ARE NOT RENDERING PROFESSIONAL ADVICE OR RECOMMENDATIONS. DO NOT RELY ON ANY INFORMATION ON THESE PAGES TO REPLACE CONSOLTATIONS WITH QUALIFIED PROFESSIONALS TO MEET YOUR INDIVIDUAL NEEDS. YOU USE THE MATERIALS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- CARE is a distributor (and not a publisher) of content supplied by third parties and Users. CARE has no more editorial control over such content than does a public library, bookstore, or newsstand. Any opinions, advice, statements, services, offers, or other information or content expressed or made available by any User of the Materials, are those of the respective author(s) or distributor(s) and not of or endorsed by CARE. CARE DOES NOT PRE-SCREEN, APPROVE OR ENDORSE ANY SUBMISSIONS, AND CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT A SUBMISSION WAS ACTUALLY CREATED AND IS BEING OPERATED BY THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY THAT IS THE SUBJECT OF A SUBMISSION. NOR IS CARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF ANY SUBMISSION, OR ACTIONS TAKEN ON OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY SUBMISSION, INCLUDING HOW THE OWNER OF THE SUBMISSION COLLECTS, HANDLES, USES AND / OR SHARES ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION IT MAY COLLECT FROM USERS. YOU SHOULD BE CAREFUL BEFORE PROVIDING ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION TO OR ENTERING INTO ANY TRANSACTION IN CONNECTION WITH A SUBMISSION.
- IN NO EVENT WILL CARE OR ITS DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES OR AGENTS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR LOST DATA ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE MATERIALS, ANY PLATFORM APPLICATIONS OR ANY OF THE MATERIALS OR OTHER MATERIALS ON, ACCESSED THROUGH OR DOWNLOADED FROM THE SITES, EVEN IF CARE IS AWARE OR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY CONTAINED HEREIN, CARE'S LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, AND REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF THE ACTION, WILL AT ALL TIMES BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT PAID, IF ANY, BY YOU TO CARE FOR THE SERVICE DURING THE TERM OF ACCESS. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IF NO FEES ARE PAID TO CARE FOR THE SERVICE, YOU SHALL BE LIMITED TO INJUNCTIVE RELIEF ONLY, UNLESS OTHERWISE PERMITTED BY LAW, AND SHALL NOT BE ENTITLED TO DAMAGES OF ANY KIND FROM CARE, REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSE OF ACTION.
- CARE is not responsible for any technical malfunction or other problems of any telephone network or service, computer systems, servers or providers, computer or mobile phone equipment, software, failure of e-mail or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, the Materials or at any Sites or combination thereof, including injury or damage to User's or to any other person's computer, mobile phone, or other hardware or software, related to or resulting from using or downloading materials in connection with the Web and/or in connection with the Materials. Under no circumstances will CARE be responsible for any loss or damage, including any loss or damage to any Submissions or personal injury or death, resulting from anyone's use of the Materials, any Submissions or Third Party Applications, Software or Content posted on or through the Materials or transmitted to Users, or any interactions between Users of the Materials, whether online or offline.
- The Materials or Sites may be linked to other sites not maintained by CARE. CARE is not responsible for the content of those sites. The inclusion of any link to such sites does not imply endorsement by CARE of the sites. CARE makes no representations whatsoever about any other sites which you may access through CARE.
- These limitations apply even if there is negligence on the part of CARE Entities or an authorized CARE representative has been advised of the possibility of such damages, or both.
- Employment at CARE. CARE is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work force. To be considered for a position at CARE, you must contact the CARE Human Resources Department and submit an application to pursuant to CARE's employment policies.
- Purchases. Any purchases through the Materials or on the Sites are through third-party providers and are subject to the terms and conditions set forth on such corresponding sites. Any dispute must be resolved directly with the third party provider.
- CARE Programs. The Materials may contain references to CARE services, products and programs that are international and may or may not exist in your country. These references do not imply that CARE intends to announce or provide the programs in your country. All questions about CARE activities in your country should be directed to the appropriate CARE Country Office.
- Monitoring. You understand and agree that CARE may, but is not obligated to, review the Materials and may delete or remove (without notice) any Content or Submissions in its sole discretion, for any reason or no reason, including Submissions that in the sole judgment of CARE violate this Agreement, or that might be offensive, illegal, or that might violate the rights, harm, or threaten the safety of Users or others. You are solely responsible at your sole cost and expense for creating backup copies and replacing any Submissions you post or store in the Materials, on the Sites or provide to CARE. CARE may edit, refuse to post or remove any material submitted to or posted in the Materials (including on the Sites). In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and other applicable law, CARE has adopted a policy of terminating, in appropriate circumstances and at CARE's sole discretion, access of Users who are deemed to be repeat infringers. CARE may also at its sole discretion limit access to the Materials (including on the Sites) and/or terminate access of any Users who infringe any intellectual property rights of others, whether or not there is any repeat infringement. Possible evidence of use of the Materials (including the Sites) for illegal purposes may be provided to law enforcement authorities.
- Trademark Information. The marks CARE, CARE Package, CARE for the Child, I Am Powerful, She Has The Power To Change Her World. You Have The Power To Help Her Do It, Defending Dignity. Fighting Poverty, Where the End of Poverty Begins and other CARE service marks, trademarks, trade names or logos are registered in the United States and, to the extent used outside the United States, in other countries. All rights reserved. Other trademarks or trade names displayed in the Materials, on the Sites or through links to other sites are the property of the respective trademark owners.
- Share Services.
- CARE offers a feature whereby Users of the Materials can share with others or post to their own member profile, videos, articles and other Third Party Applications, Software or Content from, and/or links to, Third Party Sites (the "Share Service"). You acknowledge and agree that your use of the Share Services and all links, User Content or Third Party Applications, Software or Content shared through the Share Service is subject to, and will fully comply with the terms and conditions set forth in these Terms.
- Subject to these Terms, Third Party Sites that meet the requirements set forth herein may place a Share Link (as described below), in the form approved by CARE, on pages of their web sites to facilitate use of the Share Service. A Third Party Site that posts a Share Link on its web site (each an "Online Content Provider") shall abide and be subject to the applicable sections of these Terms. A "Share Link" is a button and/or a text link appearing on an Online Content Provider's web page that, upon being clicked by a User, enables us to launch a sharing mechanism through which Users can share with others or post to their own member profile, links and content from that page.
- If the Share Link is a button that contains any icons or other graphic images, trademarks or other proprietary materials of CARE, Online Content Provider is granted permission to use such images, trademarks or other materials solely for the purpose of placing the Share Link on Online Content Provider's site and solely in the current form provided by CARE. The rights granted in this paragraph may be revoked by CARE at any time with or without cause in its sole discretion, and upon such termination, Online Content Provider agrees to immediately remove all Share Links from its site.
- In order for an Online Content Provider to include a Share Link on its pages, the Third Party Site must not contain any web content that if shared or posted by a User would be a violation of these Terms. Without limiting the forgoing, Online Content Provider agrees not to post a Share Link on any web site that contains, and represents and warrants that such web site does not and will not contain, any content that is infringing, harmful, threatening, unlawful, defamatory, abusive, inflammatory, harassing, vulgar, obscene, lewd, fraudulent, or invasive of privacy or publicity rights or that may expose CARE or its Users to any harm or liability of any type. Upon including of a Share Link, Online Content Provider agrees to defend, indemnify and hold CARE, CARE International, their affiliates, and each of their directors, officers, agents, contractors, partners and employees, harmless from and against any loss, liability, claim, demand, damages, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney's fees, arising out of or in connection with such Share Link, any links, content or other items or materials which may be shared or posted through such Share Link, or any breach or alleged breach of the foregoing representations and warranties.
- By including a Share Link, Online Content Provider automatically grants, and represents and warrants that it has the right to grant, to CARE an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use the Share Service in order to link to, use, copy, publish, stream, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part), summarize, and distribute the content, links and other materials of any kind residing on any web pages on which Online Content Provider places the Share Link.
- This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement of the parties with respect to this subject matter, and supersedes all previous written or oral agreements between the parties with respect to such subject matter.
- This Agreement shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Georgia, United States of America, without regard to its conflict of laws roles. If any part of these Terms is unlawful, void, or unenforceable, that part will be deemed severable and will not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions. No waiver by either party of any breach or default hereunder shall be deemed to be a waiver of any preceding or subsequent breach or default. "Includes", "including" and other similar terms are deemed to include "without limitation" immediately thereafter, and any specification of the Site as part of the Materials is purely to provide clear meaning and does not imply that other references to Materials exclude the Sites.
- These Terms are also for the benefit of CARE Entities, each of which may assert and enforce such provisions directly or on its own behalf.