Does the name CARE stand for anything as an acronym? 
CARE was founded in the United States in 1945 when it sent food parcels to Europe. The name stood for 'Cooperative for American Remittances to Europe'. As CARE's activities broadened, this was changed to the 'Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere'. Today the name is used in its own right rather than as an acronym.

Where is CARE USA located?

We are headquartered in Atlanta and CARE has field offices in eight U.S. cities.

Where does CARE work? 
Last year, CARE worked in more than 90 countries, implementing long-term programs to fight poverty, responding to humanitarian emergencies, and advocating for policy change to improve the lives of the poorest people.

Who supports CARE?
Hundreds of thousands of individuals and dozens of U.S. corporations, foundations and other organizations support CARE each year. We also obtain funding and commodities from governmental agencies, the European Union and the United Nations. CARE USA's program expenses in 2013 totaled more than $514 million.

How can I make a donation in honor of someone?
Gifts in honor of someone can be made online here by entering the honoree's name and the address for sending the acknowledgement. By phone, in honor donations can be made by calling 1-800-522-CARE. Please be ready to provide the honoree's address.

What address should I use to mail in my donation?
Click here to learn how to send your donation to CARE's secure, authorized donation processor.

What is CARE's Employer Identification Number (EIN)/tax ID?
CARE's EIN is 13-168-5039. For easy location, this number can also be found on the very bottom of CARE's homepage.

CARE can be found on the IRS Exempt Organizations list here or by filling in the following information:

EIN: 13-1685039
Legal Name: Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere, Inc. 
State of Incorporation: Washington, DC
Country: US

If I am an international donor, can I still make a donation to CARE?
No matter where you live, you can support CARE's poverty-fighting programs. Donate online now.

I have received a mailing stating my pledge was not fulfilled. Did you receive my donation?
Because of overlapping mailing schedules, sometimes donors receive notifications that their donation was not received, when in fact it was. We apologize for such an occurrence. If you've received such a notice but believe your donation was processed, please call us at 1-800-422-7385 or contact us through – and we will check your CARE account to let you know.

I didn't get a tax receipt for my donation.  How can I obtain one?
A duplicate tax receipt can be requested by calling Constituent Services at 1-800-422-7385 or by mail to: Constituent Services Department, CARE USA, 151 Ellis Street, NE, Atlanta, GA 30303.

Where do my donations go?
The majority of our donors want their gift to be used wherever the need is greatest. This allows CARE the flexibility to use resources as efficiently as possible. CARE's financial records are available to the public. Ninety percent of our expended resources support program activities. Ten percent of expended resources go toward administrative and fundraising expenditures. We conform to the highest accounting and financial standards.

Is my donation restricted to one country?
Donations to CARE go to support our poverty-fighting programs in poor countries worldwide. This gives us the flexibility to channel funds to wherever the needs are greatest.

How can I donate my Delta SkyMiles? How exactly are they used?
Donating your Delta SkyMiles to CARE enables our poverty-fighting experts to travel all over the world to advance our humanitarian mission. Donated miles are a big money saver for CARE, allowing us to put more funds directly into aid efforts. Make your miles matter by clicking here!

Can I donate clothes, food or other supplies?
Whenever possible, CARE buys supplies locally, thereby supporting a developing economy.

Can I volunteer for CARE?

CARE generally doesn't recruit volunteers for fieldwork, for several reasons:

  • Whenever possible, CARE works with local people in order to expand skills and knowledge in a country, as well as to ensure sustainability.
  • Often, local laws prohibit or severely restrict the use of foreign volunteers.
  • Most of our programs require specific expertise and several years of experience in international development and relief.
  • Using volunteers internationally can be very costly in regard to airfare, meals and lodging.

How can I or my company partner with CARE for fundraising opportunities?

There are several ways you and/or your company can get involved in CARE's poverty-fighting mission.

  • Many companies match their employees' charitable contributions. Click here to learn more.
  • Support one of CARE's annual events or marketing programs, such as our annual CARE National Conference & Celebration, an International Women's Day event or our CARE Package campaign.
  • Consider hosting brown-bag lunches on CARE's work at your company, include CARE in your internal communications materials or feature CARE on your intranet site or CSR pages.
  • By sharing information about CARE with your consumers, customers and partners, you help multiply the reach of CARE's work.
  • To learn more, please contact us by e-mail or phone at 1-800-422-7385.

How can I work for CARE?

Job opportunities, including short-term consulting openings, can be found in our careers section.

Does CARE offer financial assistance or grants?
CARE is not a funding agency and therefore does not provide financial support directly to individuals or organizations. Instead, CARE works in partnership with governments, organizations, and communities in developing countries to create lasting solutions to poverty.

Does CARE provide scholarships?
No, CARE does not provide scholarships or student loans. CARE is not a funding agency and, therefore, does not provide financial support directly to individuals or organizations.

How can I sponsor a child?
CARE does not offer a child sponsorship program. Instead, we encourage your support of entire communities through our overall poverty-fighting efforts, which we know – from our many years of experience – is the most effective way to alleviate poverty.

Why doesn't CARE provide assistance within the United States?

While CARE is concerned with poverty and injustice everywhere, our mission is to serve individuals and families in the poorest communities in the world. Since our inception in 1945, CARE has been a trusted vehicle for Americans to share their compassion and generosity with those who have no safety net.

CARE is committed to doing more than meeting immediate needs. We strive to address the structural barriers to overcoming poverty, such as patterns of discrimination and exclusion; corrupt or incompetent public institutions; lack of access to essential public services; conflict and social disorder; and major public health threats. While these can certainly be found to varying degrees in any wealthy nation, the scale doesn't compare to poor nations. Therefore, CARE believes we have the greatest potential for impact in developing countries.  

Are you a religious-based organization? What is your stand on abortion?
CARE is a nonsectarian organization, meaning we are not affiliated with any particular religion or belief system. CARE does not fund, support or perform abortions, though we do assist women suffering complications of unsafe abortions.

Can I use the CARE name and/or logo to raise awareness of your work?

Yes, if used in compliance with CARE's terms and conditions. Click here for detailed information.   

How do I get permission to reprint a CARE story or video?
Please read the instructions here to request such permission.

How can I obtain an information packet on CARE?
Contact Constituent Services by phone at 1-800-422-7385, or via mail at: Constituent Services Department, CARE USA, 151 Ellis Street, NE, Atlanta, GA 30303, or via

How do you pay for telemarketing services?
Ninety-one percent of CARE's expended resources go directly to our aid efforts in impoverished communities worldwide. Only 9 percent goes to overhead, which includes fundraising costs like telemarketing. We keep our expenses as low as possible by diligently seeking the most competitive rates for such services.

How can I update my address?
To change address information in your online account, please log in and go to "Update Your Profile Information." Log into your online account. Otherwise, you can change your address by submitting your request to or by calling us at 1-800-422-7385.

How can I update my credit card information?
To change credit card information in your online account, please log in and go to "Update Your Profile Information." Then make changes in the "Transaction Information" section. Otherwise, you can change your credit card information by calling us at 1-800-422-7385.

What if I forget/don't know my password?
First, try logging into your online account. This page provides options to select from regarding your user name and/or password. If you still need help after trying these options, please call us at 1-800-422-7385 or contact us at

How can I cancel my online subscription to e-mails?
The easiest way to cancel is to click the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any e-mail you receive from CARE. Another way is to log into your online account, then go to "Update Your Profile Information," where you can uncheck the e-mail option. You can also go to "Manage Your E-mail Interests," and specifically select what kind of communications you do or don't want to receive from CARE. Be sure to click "Save" after making your selections. Log into your online account.

How can I be removed from the mailing list and/or e-mail?

If you want to stop or limit mailings to your home address, please submit your request to the following:, or call us at 1-800-422-7385. Please note that it may take from 4 to 8 weeks for this change to take effect. If you want to stop or limit e-mails from CARE, please see the answer above to "How can I cancel my online subscription?"

I am having technical difficulties with your website.
Please report CARE Web site technical errors to


To learn more about CARE's poverty-fighting work for your research paper, please refer to the links below:

The World of CARE:

For all other questions or requests for information about CARE, please contact Constituent Services by phone at 1-800-422-7385; through the mail: Constituent Services Department, CARE USA, 151 Ellis Street, NE, Atlanta, GA 30303; or at