A new wave of COVID-19 is threatening some of the world’s most vulnerable people. Infections are soaring in countries that were previously thought to have escaped the worst, overwhelming limited healthcare resources. While the introduction of COVID-19 vaccines is bringing new hope, distributing them poses massive challenges, especially where public health infrastructure is weak.
CARE’s COVID-19 Response
CARE continues to play a central role in combating the pandemic – with the largest emergency response in our 75-year history, so far reaching 69 of the 100 countries where CARE works. Our achievements to date include:
- Clean water supplies for 4.9 million people.
- Hygiene kits with crucial supplies like soap, hand sanitizer, masks and sanitary napkins, for 4.8 million people.
- Nutritious food for 4.3 million people who face the threat of malnutrition due to lockdowns or loss of income.
- Cash or vouchers enabling 890,000 people to choose what they need most and support local businesses.
- Mass media campaigns reaching nearly 262.8 million people with information on COVID-19 prevention and services.
- Community outreach engaging nearly 20.6 million people in dialogue to offer prevention education, answer questions and dispel rumors.
- Gender-based violence prevention and response reaching 5.1 million people.