icon icon icon icon icon icon icon

What Does Gender-Sensitive Cash and Voucher Assistance Look Like? 2.0

In 2021, in a follow up to a 2019 study, CARE conducted a study aimed to evaluate the experience of respondents receiving cash and voucher assistance, with an emphasis on the experience of women respondents.

Download (English)

Executive summary

Study overview

In 2019, CARE commissioned the study “What Does Gender-Sensitive Cash and Voucher Assistance Look Like?” to evaluate the extent to which CARE’s programming with cash and voucher assistance (CVA) met the strategic intent. It guided the agency-wide definition and design of subsequent guidelines on gender sensitive CVA. In 2021, CARE again reflected on progress toward this ambition and commissioned a review to answer the question, “To what extent is CARE’s use of CVA meeting the needs of women and girls in ways that represent the best possible outcomes by maximizing inclusion, effectiveness, and efficiency?”. This study aimed to evaluate the experience of respondents receiving CVA, with an emphasis on the experience of women respondents.


The study occurred between June and August of 2021 in Ecuador, Ethiopia, Jordan, and Zimbabwe using one-on-one interviews, focus group discussions (FGDs), and storytelling. In total, CARE conducted 28 interviews and 35 FGDs with 317 respondents. Women respondents comprised 71% of individual interviews, with men making up the remaining 29%. Of the 34 FGDs, 56% involved only women (166 total respondents). Thirteen individual testimonies were collected from respondents (nine women), with four of these testimonies videotaped (women only). Additionally, the participating CARE country offices completed a checklist based on CARE Gender sensitive CVA Guidelines; in addition to the previously mentioned countries, CARE Philippines participated in the checklist review.

Related Reports

Growth is not enough

In 2022, more than 735 million people in the world were hungry. That’s 1 in 11 people worldwide. Relative improvements after the worst of the COVID-19 pandemic are masking rapidly growing inequality. There are 84.2 million more women and girls than men and boys facing food insecurity. The gender food gap grew in many regions, including most of Africa, Southeast Asia, the Middle East North America, and Europe. CARE’s analysis of data across 113 countries suggests that improving GDP is not enough. The most recent data shows that in situations with high inequality, economic growth can lead to higher food insecurity, especially since COVID-19. In 57 countries, GDP is growing AND food insecurity is rising. As gender and income inequality rise, so does hunger. Read More

Read More

Integrating Local Knowledge in Humanitarian and Development Programming: Perspectives of Global Women Leaders

This report examines local knowledge integration in the context of global development and humanitarian aid work. It builds upon a recently published report by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) called Integrating Local Knowledge in Development Programming. That report sought to “share knowledge of how development donors and implementing organizations leverage local knowledge to inform programming. This study aims to extend the original methods to better understand grassroots actors’ own interpretations of local knowledge and its integration into programming in their communities. It examines the perspectives of 29 grassroots leaders from women-led organizations around the world, looking deeply at the ways in which they conceptualize local knowledge and local knowledge stakeholders, their approaches to designing their own projects based on local knowledge, and their experiences sharing knowledge with international actors and donors. This builds the broader evidence base on integrating local knowledge to incorporate the perspectives of grassroots actors into the same conversation as the original study. Read More

Read More

Climate & Gender Capacity Statement

Women and girls are agents of change in global climate mitigation and adaptation. This capacity statement outlines how CARE centers gender equality in our climate change programming. Read More

Read More