For over two decades, CARE has been addressing the root causes driving gender-based violence (GBV) and supporting survivors. CARE’s Vision 2030 Strategy for a shared future puts forward a goal that 50 million people of all genders experience greater gender equality—including eliminating GBV, and increasing women and girls’ voice, leadership, and education. CARE works to address multiple forms of GBV, including:
- Intimate partner violence
- Sexual violence, harassment, exploitation, and abuse
- Child, early, and forced marriage, and other harmful traditional practices
- Gender norms, toxic masculinities, homophobia, and transphobia
- Economic exploitation and exclusion of women and girls
Rates of gender-based violence around the world rose dramatically in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Fueled by the food crisis, this issue continues to worsen as a result of the compounding challenges of climate change, conflict, resource scarcity, and increased commodity costs.